- Wednesdays-Saturdays 8pm
- Saturday matinees 2pm
- Preview December 1, 8pm (tickets only $10!)
- Talk Back Night – discussion with artists Friday, December 9
- Added shows: Tues, December 27 8pm | Extra 2pm matinees on December 28, 29, 31 & January 1
- Fri, Dec 23, 2pm BENEFIT PERFORMANCE to aid orphans from war & AIDS in Uganda
- Tickets: Adults $20 | Children $15 (tax receipts available on request) Call our Box Office to reserve 604.731.5518
- All proceeds go to the UGANDA JESUS VILLAGE PROJECT, in order to complete a children’s village in Kampala, Uganda to care and provide education for 800 of the nation's 3 million orphans. Please come and bring friends! UGANDA JESUS VILLAGE PROJECT is an initiative of Fresh Fire Ministries (registered Canadian Charity based Abbotsford), Be A HERO (registered Canadian Charity based in Kelowna - see beahero.org) and Streams of Life (based in Kampala, Uganda).
Dec. 1 — Jan. 1
The Farndale… Christmas Carol
by David McGillivray
Tired of the same old thing for the holidays? Come see Pacific Theatre’s production of THE FARNDALE… CHRISTMAS CAROL, the hilarious play-within-a-play that’s the comic hit of the season. This stalwart group of lady thespians brings ineptitude to new heights with their dizzily endearing, well-meaning assault on the Dickens Christmas classic.
THE FARNDALE AVENUE HOUSING ESTATE TOWNSWOMEN’S GUILD DRAMATIC SOCIETY’S PRODUCTION OF A CHRISTMAS CAROL is the fifth in a series of British comedies about a fictional troupe of ladies who reside on Farndale Avenue (they first slaughtered MACBETH in 1976). All of the plays were written by David McGillivray and Walter Zerlin Jr., who became inspired after seeing McGillivray’s mother in a production put on by an all woman cast.
This festive farcical romp features the comic talents of Erla Faye Forsyth as Mrs. Reece (the troupe’s ringleader who plays Tiny Tim) and Trish Pattenden as Thelma (the prima donna Scrooge), together again to butt heads on the Pacific Theatre stage (they co-starred in LETTICE AND LOVAGE in 2002).
They are joined by Julia Mackey (who played Lucy in THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE) as the ancient and failing Mercedes, Christy-Lynne Guthrie (a PT apprentice, last seen as Ophelia in the 80 minute HAMLET) as the neurotic Felicity, and the Sam Payne Award-winning Kyle Rideout (Jansen in last season’s hit HALO) as Gordon, the guild’s reluctant stage manager who’s forced to play Mrs. Cratchit.
THE FARNDALE… CHRISTMAS CAROL is directed by the solid and silly Kerry van der Griend (who directed the hit comedy CHICKENS here in 2004), with musical direction by Kirsten Waldschmidt, set design by Francesca Albertazzi, costume design by Nicole Bach (Jessie Award nomination for CHICKENS), lighting design by Erin Harris, sound design by Spencer Capier, and properties design by Lauchlin Johnston, it’s sure to be a screamingly funny festive travesty.
“My mother had been in her drama group for years,” co-author McGillivray has said. “I always remember seeing her in shows with women playing men’s parts, and doing it dreadfully. But throughout it all was the fun and drive they had, no matter what problem beset them.”
“A classic dramatic massacre with an awesome, convincing idiocy that enthralls — despite one’s better judgment.” —The Independent
“Fabulously funny… endless imagination… had me howling with laughter… a comic classic.” —Jerry Wasserman, The Province
“Real joy… topnotch comedic talent… inspired lunacy…” —Kathleen Oliver, The Georgia Straight
“A great cast… one of the highlights of the holiday season. Director Kerry van der Griend hasn’t missed a beat.” —Peter Birnie, The Vancouver Sun
“Loads of laughter… no shortage of comedic chops. ” —Jo Ledingham, The Vancouver Courier